Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Antique Rorstrand Majolica Pedestal, Late 19th Century


Hello Friends and Readers:

I've had another successful day at the flea market and I wasn't actually there to make the purchase.

Since I have a regular "9 to 5," I'm unable to go to one of my favorite flea markets, which is held on Thursdays.  But, I'm blessed to have a husband who loves flea marketing as much as I do. So, he goes to the flea market on Thursdays to treasure hunt for me.

When he finds a piece that he believes will strike my fancy, he takes pictures of it, sends it to me via email, text or both, then follows up with a phone call.  Which is exactly what he did last Thursday, when he ran into this incredible piece at the Columbus Flea Market.  Thank God for Technology.

I was at work when I received a picture from my husband of one of the most beautiful porcelain pedestals that I had ever seen.  Just from the picture, I could tell that the piece had quality and history.  One of the pictures he sent me was of the underside of the base of the pedestal, which was signed  "Made in Sweden, Rorstrand."

My husband had found an antique Rorstrand majolica pedestal.  The colors on the piece are magnificent and it has no cracks or chips.

Turns out, Rorstrand was a company established near Stockholm, Sweden in 1726 and by the 19th century, they were making china, porcelain and other items inculding majolica.  Our piece (pictured) dates to around the late 19th century.

I'd love to know the history of the pedestal and the generations it must have passed through.  However, the owner only said that it had been in her family for a long time.  She was there (at the flea market) just for the day to "get rid of some things."

Needless to say, I'm glad that she was ready to pass this beautiful unique pedestal on, and that my husband was at the flea market early enough to be the fortunate buyer.

If you want to find antiques, collectibles, and unique pieces at the flea market, you have to arrive at the crack of dawn with a flash light.  If not, the regular vendors will beat you to the seller who is just there for the day to "get rid of some things."  Then they (the regular vendors) will in turn, sell it to you later at a much higher premium.

Please write back and share some of your exciting flea market finds with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment